The company is a multinational financial services holding headquartered in Switzerland.
It is has four divisions: Investment Banking, Private Banking, Asset Management, plus a Shared Services Group that provides marketing and support to the other three divisions
- Our client had a strong investment banking division and was providing services for Merger & Acquisitions (M&A) to large companies.
- However, there was no advisory tailored to small and medium-sized enterprises (SMEs) which play a significant role in Switzerland.
- As a result, the client asked us to analyze the market for such services and develop an initial recommendation if and of how to best captures this market.
- As part of this comprehensive market analysis we:
- Analyzed the Swiss market for M&A transactions (volumes, values, segments, etc.) and identified needs of M&A clients,
- Profiled and categorized main market players (investment banks, management consultancies, specialized M&A advisors and legal firms),
- Summarized trends and developed possible scenarios.
- Based on this work we derived conclusions in terms of what is required to successfully serve this market.
- The relevant market of deals >10 and <250 million CHF had a significant size.
- Clients did not feel advised well by the existing players, and the coordination of due diligence, legal and financial advisory was seen as a particular challenge.
- There was interest to see large banks entering this space with their know-how and their access to international investors.